Thursday, May 21, 2015

BLOW UP: Inflatable Contemporary Art


BLOW UP: Inflatable Contemporary Art is an exhibition currently at the Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, CA that features blow up art, usually made of vinyl, plastic film or tarpaulin and sometimes painted and most importantly using air as a tool to create large-scale inflatable sculptures. Many of the sculptures are interactive and are encouraged to be touched to maximize the experience. A few sculptures on the other hand are not advised to be touched due to oils on the hand that may potentially degrade the inflatable material.

Selfie with Andy Warhol's Silver Clouds.

The overall experience was fun, the idea of being in the presence of such large "balloons" brought out my childish side and I found myself really engaged with the sculptures. Andy Warhol's Silver Clouds room reminded me space setting where numerous silver clouds float throughout the room. Another sculpture I personally favored was the Pontiac Trans Am replica because I found so many scenarios to apply to it (you'll see in the photos).The only downside was that I wished there was more sculptures because I was able to view/interact with all the pieces fairly quickly.


BLOW UP included a video component featuring documentation of inflatable works by Christo and Jeanne-Claude and Joshua Allen Harris. The exhibits runs from April 26 - June 21, 2015.

  



  


AHHHH!!! My Back!
I need to go to the hospital.



The artists works featured are:

Claire Ashley • Chicago, IL - Thing 1 (2012), Thing 2 (2012) and Knees Up (2011)


Lee Boroson • Brooklyn, NY - Live Rock (2015)


Lewis deSoto • Napa, CA - Paranirvana:Self Portrait (2012)

Let's all meditate.

Patrick Flibotte • Brooklyn, NY - Inflatable Superheros (2007)

Meet my little friends!

Billie Grace Lynn • Miami, FL - White Elephant (2007)


Guy Overfelt • San Francisco, CA - Untitled (1999)

Oh,that's how you look under the hood?

Momoyo Torimitsu • New York, NY - Somehow I Don't Feel Comfortable (2000)


Bunny turds.

Andy Warhol • 1928-1987 - Silver Clouds (1966)



1 comment: