Thursday, April 2, 2015

Gauntlet Galleries 3rd Annual 12X12 Exhibit

The Gauntlet Gallery is one of two galleries I visited on March 26, 2015 after the failed attempt to obtain admission to see the @Large Ai Wei Wei exhibition. I was hoping to arrive early enough in San Francisco to purchase an early tour ticket but unfortunately that did not happen. On the bright side, the bay area has many great galleries for my viewing pleasure. 

After a quick Yelp research, it was decided we should visit the Gauntlet Gallery which is located at 1040 Larkin St. This gallery did not disappoint and had many pieces of artwork that interest me. I particularity enjoyed three paintings by Steven Lopez titled "Feral Feathers" because there's a strong reference to the illustrative comic art style but created by acrylic on canvas. I also gravitate to images of the human figure and loud vibrant colors which the paintings also possess which gives them an urban, fantasy-like aura to them. The paintings possess a style very much to what I try to achieve in my own artwork.

Another piece that caught my attention was Hilary White's "The Twelve Gates" which is a wall mounted mixed media assemblage. The repetition of shapes and negative spaces provided many interesting points of visual interest. To add to that, the selection of texture and properties of certain materials further peaked my interest of the piece even though I do not understand the meaning or content behind the piece.

The curator that day suggested some good galleries near the vicinity to continue our quest for art knowledge which I will write in my next blog.

You Gots to Chill by Ken Flewellyn

Inhaling the art.

Subsumed by David Cooley

Top portion or The Twelve Gates by Hilary White

Bottom portion of The Twelve Gates



Clinger by Tony Philippou

When you go to IHOP with your grandpa, and he smokes all your DMT  by Sean Norvet

Feral Feathers by Steven Lopez  
Feral Feathers by Steven Lopez

Feral Feathers by Steven Lopez

No Info available on this piece.

No info available on this piece as well, but its huge.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I really like the vibrancy and native aesthetic within this work!

    ReplyDelete