Sunday, April 12, 2015

Witt Gallery: Recent works by Toni Hilliker and Trevor Pope Lance

Back in March 18, 2015 I attended the reception exhibition for the recent works of student artists Toni Hilliker, who works in ceramics and Trevor Pope Lance, who works with plaster. I consider myself to be a 2D artist and gravitate to artwork of that nature but I have worked with clay and plaster in the past. That being said, even though 3D art is not my medium of choice I do appreciate the amount of patience, skill, and luck involved with these mediums. I personally like to be in 100% control of the things I paint whereas with clay, ceramics, and plaster requires a lot more finesse to hopefully produce the outcome you are hoping for, especially the firing and curing stages because there is only so much you can control.

I felt the exhibition was good, the artwork was displayed nicely and taking full advantage of the space and lighting. I felt more gravitated towards Trevor's work which is strange because my tastes usually are more favorable to bright, vivid colors or weird and vocal designs. Trevor's work is quite opposite, his plaster forms are fairly simplistic at a glance but at the same time possess a preciseness to them. The pieces are not only composed of plaster but of metal pieces embedded into them as well. Depending on the size, shape, and material of the metal, the final product of the plaster can have some interesting results which cannot be reproduced a second time, so each piece is unique. The rusting of the metal within the plaster also adds another dimension to the piece but still reads itself as precise and minimalist even though the final result is unknown to the artist.

Untitled by Trevor Pope-Lance

Oxidation by Trevor Pope-Lance with partial Caiti Chan and Lindsey McGrath.

Oxidation with Ashley Young, pizza, and Caiti Chan.

Vernacularize.

Tripych.

L to R: Lindsey McGrath, Trevor Pope-Lance and Caiti Chan.

Untitled by Toni Hilliker.

Untitled with myself.

Looking at art makes us thirsty!

No comments:

Post a Comment