Tuesday, March 10, 2015

49 Geary Art Galleries

I took trip to the 49 Geary Art Galleries in San Francisco back in February. This location was recommended to me by Prof. Ortbal because it consisted of roughly fifteen different galleries consisting of contemporary artwork. I have mixed feelings at this building, I do like the idea of viewing various works in different galleries under one roof but I was somewhat disappointed because I felt almost half of the galleries exhibits are in the form of photography. I personally have no offense to photography as art but I was hoping to see more paintings and sculptures than I did.

An exhibit that did interest me were Uel Renteria's Paintography, which is located on the 5th floor at the Storefront. Another exhibit that interested me was Yvette Gellis's Standing in the Corner series at the Toomey Tourell Gellery.

Uel Renteria's Paintography series.






Melissa Dickenson's Hard in the Paint series.



Yvette Gellis's Standing in the Corner series.




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got started, Paul, but you need a photo of you in the gallery to get class credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine, I'm not sure who "Paul" is but my name is John. I went to this gallery when you went to NY and I didn't know we needed to be in the photos but I will do so from now on. I have a couple other galleries I've attended and will blogging about those soon.

      Delete